Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Yo-Ho, Yo-Ho, A Childfree Life for Me

I try to stay away from discussing politics, but with the upcoming presidential elections looming, the ongoing battle for women's health has me very concerned. Of course, being a woman, I am concerned, but fact of the matter is, my reproductive health is no one's damn business. I am childfree by choice and should I accidentally find myself with some rapidly splitting cells in my uterus, I want my options and clinics open. I'm not hugely a fan of throwing myself down a set of stairs.

Politics aside, I was probably about 10 or 11 years old when I really realized  I didn't want children, but the idea didn't really cement in my mind until probably high school. I don't know how to talk or interact with children, babies creep me out with their blank, myopic stares, and children in general put me on edge. I do not like children. I get vilified for this, by feminists of all people. And I hear it all:

"How can you hate a baaaaaaby?" Because it's creepy
"You were one once!" This will render all other arguments null and I will instantly stop listening to you if you use this, since it is the most illogical of all arguments
"You'll change your mind  once you have one!" Oh yes, let me go have a trial baby, just to see. I can return it, right?

Listen, part of reproductive rights is the right not to reproduce. Believe me when I say I know myself, I know I have a temper, that I'm unstable, selfish, and self-centered. I know I would be a verbally and (probably) physically abusive parent. I would never bring a child into the world with that self-knowledge. I like having my stuff, I like being able to travel when I want. And I like my damn cats.

Listen, if you want kids, fine. You can have my share of the shitty diapers and vomit and screaming. Just don't belittle my choice not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment