Sunday, July 29, 2012

Can we Stop Blaming Video Games?

So I wasn't going to write today, give myself a day off, so to speak, but as I waded through excessive articles about the Olympics on Yahoo, I found a little article about the early signs of bullies. And there it was, and I was expecting it: "plays violent video games." Also listed were R-rated movies. People, let's stop the bullshit blaming here. Video games don't make kids violent, whether they're monitored or not.

Not that I would recommend it for a kid, but shitty parents give in to the demands of their 10 year-olds and buy them this shit
Some people are going to be aggressive by nature. I am. I control that shit. I blame it on repression and being raised right. You heard it. My parents were parents and when I stepped out of line, they corrected my ass. Yeah, I was the youngest by a lot and got away with what my siblings would consider murder (note: no actual murder) but I never realized the full actualization of my aggression until adulthood. I still don't harass people or beat them senseless. And you wanna know what the media blamed bullying on in my day? Heavy metal. And I listened to a lot of it. I'm listening to it right now. And I'm not punching any puppies.

My gateway drug
Stop looking for scapegoats and fucking parent, people. Now I know this is where you roll your eyes and say "oh look, a person with no kids is trying to tell me how to raise my kids!" but take a step back and look at how you're interacting with your kid, how you're disciplining them. Fucking just pay attention to them once in a while. Make sure they're not killing animals and shit. And if there's a problem, there are tons of child behavioral programs out there. In central Maine alone there are at least, oh, five or six? It's not hard to be the solution rather than the cause of the problem.

2 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, Looney Toons didn't get that much blame back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think so, what with all the shot gun shots to the face and very blatant racism.

      Delete