Monday, September 24, 2012

When did Republican Become Synonymous with Hate?

I swore I wouldn't get political. I've been biting my tongue for weeks, holding back, but I just can't any more. Some things have to be said. I am a registered Democrat and very liberal. For those of you who have been following along, I am one of millions of unemployed persons, and on food stamps (a very small amount, because I did not lie to get more). Because I don't have a job, I spend a lot of time online looking for a job but also on various social media. I, for some reason, have a lot of friends and acquaintances that are Republican, and I have noticed a disturbing trend not only in them but the candidates they support.

Hate and intolerance. Poor shaming. Attacking women. As I hold myself back from picking fights online, I am baffled how this happened. What good is it, in a political campaign, to attack to contingency that would vote for you, to attempt to strip them of their rights because you think they're "mooches?" Or, perhaps, you think they're too stupid? The poor shaming really gets me, and it's counterproductive to improving the country. Instead of making people feel bad for being poor, for needing assistance, why not try to help by, oh, creating jobs? It's been done before, in the Great Depression-- oh wait, outsourcing is cheaper,  I forgot.

Curious, enraged by all the hate and intolerance I was seeing, I wanted to see what the actual ideals of Republicanism were. Surprisingly, hating people, shaming, and denying people their basic rights are nowhere to be found:
I BELIEVE the strength of our nation lies with the individual and that each person's dignity, freedom, ability and responsibility must be honored.
I BELIEVE in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, sex, age or disability.
I BELIEVE free enterprise and encouraging individual initiative have brought this nation opportunity, economic growth and prosperity.
I BELIEVE government must practice fiscal responsibility and allow individuals to keep more of the money they earn.
I BELIEVE the proper role of government is to provide for the people only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations, and that the best government is that which governs least.
I BELIEVE the most effective, responsible and responsive government is government closest to the people.
I BELIEVE Americans must retain the principles that have made us strong while developing new and innovative ideas to meet the challenges of changing times.
I BELIEVE Americans value and should preserve our national strength and pride while working to extend peace, freedom and human rights throughout the world.
So where the hell is all the hate and incivility coming from? Why are we suddenly creating a caste system where the poor people are suddenly evil and Untouchable, a race to be eradicated, along with the Educated Liberal Female? I'm not saying Democrats are innocent, but understand, from my point of view, there is a lot of hate coming my way, toward my demographic, and it's really alarming. Frightening, when I look at my basic rights as a human. When our politicians show such intolerance to humankind, it trickles down to their constituents, and becomes an ugly, insidious thing that festers and destroys friendships, families, and lives. I'm not being dramatic here, I picked a fight with John and out the Susan G. Kommen pull out of Planned Parenthood a year ago. It was not pretty. Politics is becoming more of a hate crime than a genuine concern for the future of the nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment