Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Awesomeness of Discovering New Art

Today I went on an impromptu sailing trip with my mother and sister in our favorite place, Rockland Maine. I've told you all about that before. Needless to say, it was an amazing day to sail. Everyone should sail during hurricane season; the north gets all the good wind. Anyway, after the sail, Mom and I went into town because she wanted to purchase some gifts, and walking toward a local cafe for a drink, I saw them. They were there during my last visit, but because of Lobsterfest they had been removed. But they were back.






Dark, like an illustration out of a European fairy tale book, these amazing metal ravens are the work of Nina Scott Hansen.  It took, in my opinion, way too long to find out who the sculptor was. Her page on the Harbor Square Gallery (based out of Camden ME, another sentimental town for my family)  displays more birds, an amazing horse with rider, a troll. It is art like this that makes me wish I was not so miserably poor. I look at these and I see inspiration from those old stories from Europe, from movies like the Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. I wait for the adult raven to bob it's head and start talking. I want one of these sculptures so. bad.

I find it so amazing, the art you can find locally. Rockland itself has at least 3 or 4 art galleries downtown alone, one of which had two watercolors of ravens that I long for (and one of a horse that does amazing things with negative space). It's always a good day when you discover something new and beautiful and inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment